Back in the early 1600s, settlers and Native tribes would bet real money on the outcomes of sporting events and games. The English would go on to launch the first North American card games before real cash poker began. By 1610, in an effort to curb its influence, the Commonwealth introduced the first anti-gambling and betting regulations. They fought for the regulations, but they lost in the end. The 1700s and 1800s saw gambling and real money betting grow even more popular. More legal gambling laws were introduced in the latter part of the 19th century, but they failed as well.
The Legality of Poker in Virginia
The lottery also has quite an extensive history in Virginia, and some of the first presidents of the United States have been powerful supporters of it and other forms of gaming (but not legal real-money pokers). In 1988, Virginia founded the first modern lottery but because of the strong attitude of the state against gambling, it took more than 10 years to eventually pass the law that legalized it.
Although the state looks to be in complete symphony regarding land-based real-currency poker, Virginia state officials strongly opposed the legalization of any form of gambling, including poker betting. The legalization of online poker in Virginia rests in a vague gray area. At best, the real money poker gaming laws are outdated and vague; at worst, they are totally contradictory, especially with regards to legal internet poker gambling in Virginia.
Virginia does provide a definition and a straightforward comment on the term gambling. Gambling, according to the law of Virginia, is associated with “making a wager with real money or other things of value, made available in hope for a chance to win a prize, dependent upon the result of any game, contest or any other event the outcome of which is uncertain or a matter of chance.”
Although this definition is clear and comprehendible, it does not make known the criteria that qualifies a game as a contest of chance or whether real cash poker is a game of chance or a game of skill. Although Virginia is not interested in legalizing online poker for its residents just yet, residents of Virginia can certainly play at any number of offshore online poker rooms without the fear of legal actions taken against them.
Poker Rooms/Casinos In Virginia
- Horseshoe Casino: This multimillion-dollar facility is set up with video lottery terminals, table playgrounds, and a World Series of Poker Space, with a 122,000 square foot gaming floor. The Baltimore Marketplace at Horseshoe, which is 20,000 square feet, comprises of Charm-City food outlets, three key restaurants, and a variety of bars and lounges.
- MGM National Harbor Casino: This popular casino offers 3100 slot machines and table games that span more than 125,000 square feet of gaming space, allowing visitors to enjoy their favorite games like blackjack, baccarat, craps, and many more.
- Live! Casino & Hotel: The Live! casino provides over 4,000 slot machines and 200 table games, and is sure to keep your adrenaline pumping and provide you with the ultimate gaming experience.
- Mardi Gras Casino & Resort: The Mardi Gras Casino offers table games, slot machines, live greyhound racing, and off-track betting. They also have a large poker room, where you can play the table games of blackjack, roulette, craps, three card poker, Mississippi stud, Crisscross Poker, Big 6, and Chase the Flush.
Online Poker Sites in Virginia
Virginia laws are not such that residents face challenges finding a poker site that allows them to play for real money. There are a bunch of options to choose from to get your online poker fix.
Online players in Virginia who are 18 years older can play on online casinos, sportsbooks, poker rooms, and bingo halls without the worry of criminal activity. Here’s a list of licensed poker sites used by the people of Virginia, and some of their key features.
- Ignition casino room: This casino is exclusive to US players, and it offers a 100% bonus of up to $1,000, many payment options, and an amazing features section.
- BetOnline poker: With BetOnline, you get a 100% first deposit bonus, and the site allows for cryptocurrency banking. It is also available on a mobile app, with unique features and options. It is ranked in the top 3 in US player traffic of all online poker sites.
- Inter top poker: The Inter Top Poker platform offers a whopping 200% bonus match on initial deposit, a worldwide poker tournament selection, and a rich variant of games.
- Juicy stakes poker: This casino offers a 200% up to $1000 poker bonus, and operates on high-quality software and gives you a wide selection of tournaments, including freerolls.
- Bovada poker: Bovada poker offers a 100% welcome bonus of up to $500, guaranteed tournaments, and quick and secure payouts for players.
- Black chip poker: On the Black chip poker site, you get a 100% welcome bonus of up to $1000, special player promotions, and they are known for their rich player traffic.
- Americas cardroom: Offers a 100% welcome bonus of up to $1000. Americas cardroom runs a VIP loyalty program and a weekly progressive jackpot.
- SportsBetting Poker: SportsbettingOffers a 100% sign up bonus of up to $1000, highly responsive customer support systems, and easy-to-use software.
- True Poker: Offers prompt payment processing, a 100% welcome bonus of up to $1,000, rakeback options, and VIP Elite benefits.